It is the duty of the Advocate General to advise the provincial government upon such legal matters and to perform such other duties of a legal character, as may from time to time be referred or assigned to him by the provincial government, and to discharge the functions conferred upon him by or under the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan or any other law for the time being in force. The Advocate General has the right to speak in, and otherwise take part in the proceedings of, any committee of the legislature of which he may be named as member; however he shall not be entitled to vote. The Advocate General of Punjab is also an Ex-Officio Chairman of the Punjab Bar Council.
The Advocate General is entrusted with certain advisory, statutory, and parliamentary functions, which include but are not limited to the following:
- To tender his advice on issues and matters which are referred to him by the provincial government or different departments of the provincial government
- To represent the provincial government in cases wherein provincial government is party, in the superior courts of the country, including the Supreme Court of Pakistan
- To protect public charities and public rights in cases of nuisance
- To grant consent to the applicant for filing suit to become guardian of mentally disordered persons
- To represent provincial government under Article 111 in the provincial assembly